Friday, October 9, 2015

Survival Food Groups Choices: The Basics

Survival Food Groups Choices: The Basics
We've talked about the 7 basic survival food groups my family uses to plan and store emergency food for a crisis. I've also mentioned spices and dried soup mixes as an extra to provide more variety. But do you know what food choices there are within each group?

Grains

Rice, oats, wheat, pasta, cornmeal, flour

Legumes

Dried beans, split peas, lentils, dry soup mix

Fats/Oils

Vegetable & Olive Oil, Mayonnaise, Peanut Butter, Shortening

Sugars

Sugar, honey, molasses, corn syrup, flavored gelatin, powdered fruit drinks

Milk

Powdered milk, canned milk - evaporated and condensed

Remember that different foods have different shelf lives. So for example I only buy vegetable oil, not olive oil, because vegetable oil lasts longer than olive oil.

Canned goods only last about 3 years then you must use them and buy new. So I don't buy many canned goods, but that's a personal choice. I'm far too lazy to rotate my food supplies! But I do keep 2 weeks worth of canned goods on hand because when a catastrophe happens, we are going to be busy doing other things depending on what the disaster is and the time of year it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment